A Message from Alumnae Board President, Bette Jones Albert '68
What an honor it is for me to follow in the footsteps of so many distinguished women as your Alumnae President. It has been my great pleasure to work alongside some of the most enthusiastic and dedicated St. Margaret’s School alumnae volunteers and I am here to tell you that your newly elected Alumnae Board and Council is no different! We completed a fabulous summer board retreat in August on the beautiful SMS campus and I am delighted to give you highlights of our plans over the next two years:
- We will increase our presence on campus by attending athletic events, taking part in school activities throughout the year and taking more care in how we welcome and usher the senior class into the alumnae association.
- We will continue fund raising for the Alumnae Endowed Scholarship so that young women can continue to receive the gift of a St. Margaret’s School education. Our Endowment goal of $50,000 was reached in 2011 and the scholarship will be awarded for the first time to a returning Junior or Senior for the 2013-2014 academic year. Although the Endowment goal has been met, we will always build on this foundation so that the Alumnae Association can leave a permanent legacy at our home away from home.
- We will continue to increase casual alumnae events and encourage “spur of the moment” gatherings of alumnae across the country through our special groups. We encourage you to attend SMS sponsored alumnae events, call up your SMS friends and have a Ladies Lunch or a night out together, don’t forget to take pictures and send them to the Alumnae Office!
- We will continue to promote our signature event, the Rappahannock River Run to the local community and beyond and come up with creative ways to encourage participation and enthusiasm for this major alumnae association fundraiser. Save the Date for October 13th, 2012 and visit the event’s page online here: Rappahannock River Run.
- We will update and revive Alumnae Weekend so that all alumnae are excited to attend the party every year, no matter if they are celebrating a milestone reunion or not! Save the date for June 8-10, 2012 and come enjoy a weekend on the river where you will reconnect with other alumnae, faculty, and staff and laugh until your sides split!
- We will continue to enthusiastically support the fund raising programs of St. Margaret’s School with 100% participation to the Annual Fund. St. Margaret’s is a good steward of our donations and a worthy cause. Remember to keep our “home away from home” in your philanthropic plans for the year and make your annual donation today using our secure online giving site.
I welcome the challenges of helping this association formalize organizational and operational initiatives and I invite you all to become an active member of our Events, Campus Community and Friends and Fundraising Committees. These committees are the ones that channel the energy and ideas necessary for meaningful events and creative internal governance.
Please contact Sarah C. Weakley ’04, Director of Alumnae Relations & Annual Giving or me if you are interested in serving on a board committee or volunteering for a specific event. We need you and we promise to provide a fulfilling volunteer opportunity for you and your classmates.
I hope you will share with us where life has taken you, your accomplishments and successes and how the School can reconnect with you. I look forward to being with you this year! Here’s to a great year, here’s to St. Margaret’s, and here’s to you!
With best wishes,
Bette Jones Albert '68