Home /
About Us / History
page tools :
email page print page small type large type

History

At a time in which opportunities for high school education were rare in the rural South, the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia established St. Margaret's School in Tappahannock. Its primary purpose was to "meet the need in Tidewater of a standard school, at the least possible cost, for girls of character and ability."

Back then, students often arrived by steamboat, as there was no bridge linking Tappahannock with the Northern Neck and there was no government road to Richmond. Here's a brief look at how far we've come:

1921

St. Margaret's opens for business with 14 girls and 3 boys in grades K-11. Classes were held in a room above a pharmacy in Tappahannock.

1923

St. Margaret's graduates its first student, Nancy Berry.

Mid-1920s

$10,000 is given for the school's first gym; two new dormitories are added and Virginia builds a bridge linking Tappahannock to the Northern Neck.

1931

Enrollment has grown to 20 day students and 70 boarders. Thirteen girls graduate in the class of 1931.

1936

School is accredited by the State Board of Education.

Mid-1940s

St. Margaret's Hall gets an addition; first yearbook is published; Anderton House is purchased for use as dormitory.

1950

St. Margaret's gets its eighth headmistress, Viola Hubbard Woolfolk.

1966

 

New gym is dedicated; silver charms with school seal are given to graduating seniors, beginning a new tradition.

1975

 

Chapel extended and renovated.

1989

 

Margaret R. Broad becomes the tenth Head of School.

1990

 

Ground breaking for library/classroom building to be named after Miss Woolfolk. Board announces $1.5 million campaign.

1991

 

St. Margaret’s is one of the first boarding schools in the southeast to establish comprehensive program for international students.

1994

 

Peer leadership program established, library card catalog is computerized; three faculty apartments added to Latané Hall.

1999

 

$3.8 million Community/Technology Center opens to house riverfront dining room, computer center and math and science classrooms.

2002

 

Latane Hall is given a major renovation and makeover.

2005

 

The McCuan House dorm project, started in October 2004, is ready for dedication and opening in September 2005. It houses 24 students and 3 faculty apartments in state of the art accommodations.

2007

 

St. Margaret’s dedicates a new Athletic Complex, a 42 acre property located a mile away from the main campus. It houses two playing fields, two softball diamonds, a cross-country track, and a faculty residence

2011

 

St. Margaret’s celebrates its 90th anniversary.

2013

Lindy MacDonald Williams is selected as the 11th Head of School.

 To read a more complete article about our history, click here.

powered by finalsite