Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia
In 1920, the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia recognized a need for secondary schools that educated the whole child. It established the five Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia to provide young people with a solid mental, physical and moral foundation.
Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia today serves as a holding company for St. Margaret's, Christchurch in Middlesex County, St. Catherine's and St. Christopher's in Richmond and St. Stephen's and St. Agnes in Alexandria. Its functions are to ensure that the schools remain true to their Episcopal mission, and, much like a public school system, to provide loans for construction and other capital investments, hold title to the five institutions' property, and serve as the employer of record for faculty and staff.