Summer Reading List 2014-2015
The Summer Reading List was compiled after consulting teachers, librarians, bookstores, booklists, and journals. Although students are free to read any book on the list, suggested grade levels are given for each book. Past and present English teachers at SMS and the school librarian have recommended books they think would help prepare students in English classes offered at SMS. These books are identified by codes that can be found at the end of the reading list. Students should look at these codes to see which books are recommended for the class they will enter in the fall (if known). Please note that these are recommendations, not requirements.
Students should read books they have not previously read, and we encourage everyone to choose at least one book they find challenging either topically or linguistically.
- Returning domestic and international students are required to read three books from the SMS Summer Reading List. Returning students cannot read a book that they read and reported on for a previous Summer Reading assignment at St. Margaret’s School.
- New international students are not required to fulfill a summer reading requirement.
- New domestic students who enroll June 1-30 are required to read three books from the SMS Summer Reading List.
- New domestic students who enroll July 1-31 are required to read two books from the SMS Summer Reading List.
New domestic students who enroll August 1-15 are required to read one book from the SMS Summer Reading List.
- New domestic students who enroll after August 15 are not required to fulfill a summer reading requirement.
Each student is required to completely fill out a response sheet for each book they read and turn them into their English teacher on the first day of class. If a student does not completely fill out each response sheet or does not turn them in on the first day of class, she will not receive a passing grade. A copy of that response sheet can be found at the end of this document.
Feel free to use the St. Margaret's Bookstore in partnership with Amazon.com for discounts on books. For ordering and book reviews, click on the title of your preferred book choice. Purchases made through Amazon.com earn St. Margaret's School up to 15% return on each purchase. Contact Dale Harter at email@example.com if you have further questions.
To download the complete Summer Reading 2014-2015 List and Response Sheets, click here.