St. Margaret's School values our faculty and staff as one of the school's greatest assets. We all play an important part in providing a supportive environment where girls feel motivated and capable of stepping up to be their best. Boarding school life is fast-paced, active, and a lot of fun. In addition to meaningful and rewarding work with a diverse student body and staff, St. Margaret's provides a full compensation package and supports continuing education through training and professional development.
Our beautiful, historic campus in Tappahannock, Virginia is on the banks of the Rappahannock River in Essex County, approximately one hour northeast of Richmond, two hours south of the Washington, DC metro area, and approximately two hours from the Virginia Beach area.
St. Margaret’s School offers a competitive benefits package and salary commensurate with experience.
St. Margaret's is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin in the administration of its hiring practices.
We are currently seeking candidates for the following positions:
Be A Scottie Coach!
St. Margaret’s Athletics Department needs coaches who want to make a difference in a young woman’s life. We coach and support student-athletes to be part of a team, push to be their best, and belong to something bigger than themselves. We need soccer and JV softball coaches for this spring. Contact Director of Athletics, Cynthia Walker at email@example.com or (804)443-3357 ext 3034 for more information.
Art Teacher Position
St. Margaret’s School is seeking an Art teacher for the 2020 - 2021 academic year. In addition to inspiring students through the instruction of Art, the ideal candidate pursues his/her own creative goals through professional artistic endeavors.
- Teaching 4-5 sections of various artistic disciplines, to possibly include painting, drawing, ceramics, mixed media, and digital arts. (Exact course descriptions can be tailored based on candidate’s academic preparation and skill set.)
- Acting as an adviser to a small group of students.
- Acting as a member of a class sponsor team.
- Supporting co-curricular efforts including Days of Service and Wellness programming with attendance and enthusiasm.
- Embracing and participating in River Program outdoor activities with class sponsor team.
- Acting as a residential faculty member including 1 night weekly of residential hall duty and 8-9 weekends per school year of weekend duty.
- Coaching or sponsoring 2 trimesters of an after school activity or sport.
- Fostering the Episcopal identity of the school by attending Chapel twice weekly with the community.
- Engaging in departmental, cross-disciplinary, and whole faculty efforts to enrich and expand the curriculum and the development of St. Margaret’s students.
- Fostering a boarding school mentality of teamwork and belonging.
- A Bachelor’s degree with an advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in an independent school setting, ideally to include boarding school experience.
- A demonstrated desire for continual professional growth.
- An understanding of contemporary best practices for the instruction of the arts to secondary students.
- A willingness to learn best methods for teaching in an all-girls environment.
- An ability to communicate thoughtfully with students, colleagues, parents, and various community members.
- An ability to teach effectively in block periods, including appropriate use of blended learning and differentiation.
- A desire to contribute to all areas of school life, including athletics and co-curricular programming.
- A willingness to uphold the mission of the school.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume “Attention: Art Faculty Position” to Tracie Mothershead at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director of Advancement
St. Margaret’s School, located in Tappahannock, Virginia, is seeking a Director of Advancement. This individual will oversee the Admissions, Development and Marketing functions and will be a key member of the leadership team, reporting directly to the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Business or Marketing
- Minimum 10 years experience in development, admissions and marketing
- Previous experience in managing relationships with and engaging in direct cultivation of major prospects, including individuals and corporations
- Previous experience working in a private and/or independent educational environment
- Commitment to an independent all-girls school model
- Previous experience leading a successful team
In addition to the above qualifications, the applicant should have the following personal characteristics:
- Integrity, trustworthiness, discretion and credibility
- Innate capacity for listening and learning
- Decision-making ability
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Collegial and respectful
- Willingness and desire to become an active member of the St. Margaret’s community
- Value diversity and inclusion as a core value
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide leadership, oversight and strategies for consistent messaging and to achieve strategic benchmarks in fundraising, admissions and marketing
- Oversee the Development Office in the development and execution of initiatives to include annual fund, campaigns, major gifts, planned giving, foundation grants, corporate relations, fundraising and outreach events
- Personally cultivate major prospects, including individuals, corporations and foundations, along with identifying partnering opportunities to leverage existing support for the organization
- Manage grant proposal development and submission process; ensure proposals, reports and other documents are well written and submitted on schedule
- Serve as the primary team liaison to the Board Advancement committee
- Advise Head of School and Board of Directors on trends in enrollment and development and provide counsel and direction on matters related to achieving net tuition revenue goals
- Oversee the Admissions Office in the development of strategies to increase enrollment
- Guide the collaborative relationship with the Admissions, Development and Marketing teams to grow the enrollment of St. Margaret’s School, to engage alumnae in school life and giving and to generally raise the profile of the school
- Assist with the development of marketing initiatives and special programs to increase revenue
Relevant Skills and Abilities:
- Understand current philanthropic trends and stewardship practices
- Create and execute innovative fund development initiatives
- Understand enrollment trends, challenges and best practices
- Create and execute innovative strategies to increase enrollment, appropriately manage tuition discount rates and generate net tuition revenue to meet plan
- Provide outstanding representation of St. Margaret’s School to the Board, staff, parents, community and foundations
- Manage multiple projects, both independently and in a team setting
- Develop staff to their full potential
- Understand trends and techniques for marketing, the impact of cohesive messaging and how to appropriately leverage social media and data analytics
- Understand the private school admissions process
- Excellent communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- Strong public speaking skills and the ability to craft persuasive oral and written presentations
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume “Attention: Director of Advancement Position” to Tracie Mothershead at email@example.com