Mission & Philosophy
"As we grow in age, may we grow in grace."St. Margaret's School's motto reflects our commitment to the growth of young women in every area of their lives: intellectual ability, physical well-being, social responsibility and spiritual maturity. We offer a diverse student body a sound college-preparatory curriculum, challenging to each individual. In a Christian environment, founded on the Episcopal tradition, both honor and character are developed. St. Margaret's seeks to inspire each student to make the best of herself, and in so doing, make a better world.
This is how we express our mission.
To Be Statements
Our goal is that our students be:
- Intellectually Honest: making reasoned judgments and accepting constructive advice and consequences
- Respectful: taking responsibility for their own actions and showing sensitivity and generosity to others, expressing appreciation for the values of community spirit
- Responsible: being prepared to learn in attitude and behavior, exemplifying honor and good character, and seeking a healthy, balanced life in body, mind, and spirit
- Engaged: actively making connections among the disciplines; being open and responsive to new ideas and perspectives; seeking relevance both personally and universally; effectively communicating, developing, implementing, and communicating new ideas to others
- Self-motivated: raising questions, seeking evidence, and pursuing knowledge for the love of learning while working both independently and cooperatively
- Flexible: using a variety of sources, approaches and experiences; understanding and respecting multiple perspectives; and taking meaningful risks both intellectually and emotionally
- Confident: identifying their own strengths, believing in their own abilities, demonstrating knowledge, leadership, and service in a variety of forms, while applying appropriate skills and knowledge in an ever-changing world.
These qualities will enable students to become:
- Creative Problem Solvers: making reasoned judgments, using creative and critical thinking skills, designing and implementing multiple strategies to solve various problems.
- Effective Communicators and Collaborators: developing, implementing and communicating ideas in a variety of media, able to work with others, being open and responsive to new ideas.
- Morally Courageous Members of a Community: exemplifying the qualities above, having a well-formed conscience, and demonstrating awareness of interdependence and a sense of responsiility towards the environment and humanity.
St. Margaret's actively seeks and admits qualified students of any race, color, religious affiliation, national or ethnic origin.